RE: New community garden for hobbyists

  • Subject: RE: [cg] New community garden for hobbyists
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:03:32 -0500

about plot sizes and think the smaller 4X10 is about right for a hobbyist.

***I pretty much would just ditto what Dorene said.  If you have the space
I'd consider something more along the lines of 25x25 to make it worth
people's while.  However if you are going with small beds, I'd do 4x12 to
get better use from wood used to build beds.

I'm suggesting that all the plots  are accessible at this size so there's no
juggling. Can anyone give me an idea of what percentage would be best for
kids' plots? I like the 3X3 size and was thinking of requiring an adult
sponsor have a site in the garden, too.

***For kid's plots 3x3 is good for 4 to 10 year olds.  And 4x4 is better for
11-17 year olds.  If you want kids to be able to keep their same plot for a
long time, making them all 4x4 is easier.  If you require an adult sponsor
for  kids, it can keep a lot of kids from being able to garden.  I know of a
number of places where kids garden by their own choice and it helps keep
them from starving, as the adults in their homes will neither bother to shop
for food for them, nor cook for them, nor participate in any activity on
their behalf.  Most of those gardens do however require that the
children/teens take gardening classes along with getting access to their own
plot.  Some also provide cooking lessons to the children so they can learn
to cook what they grow.  What they cook usually is specific to the local
culture, but homemade pizza is a pretty frequent favorite.