New community garden for hobbyists

  • Subject: [cg] New community garden for hobbyists
  • From: "Catherine Fenner" <ccfenner@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:45:46 -0700

I'm working with a parks org. to develop a garden for hobbyists in a middle
to upper-middle neighborhood. Organic. I've been following the discussion
about plot sizes and think the smaller 4X10 is about right for a hobbyist.
Someone else suggested that people wanting more than one plot must wait two
years before being assigned multiples, and I find that a worthy suggestion.

I'm suggesting that all the plots  are accessible at this size so there's no
juggling. Can anyone give me an idea of what percentage would be best for
kids' plots? I like the 3X3 size and was thinking of requiring an adult
sponsor have a site in the garden, too.

No footprint for the garden yet. At first they wanted such a small size I
didn't think it was worth it. But, they want a demo place, space for
compost, shed and seating space for artists, students and people in nearby
assisted living. Can anyone suggest sources for information about minimum

This list is a great resource. I watch it eagerly.