Mason Bees

  • Subject: [cg] Mason Bees
  • From: Diana Yuen eatfood@gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:03:42 -0800

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but I'd like to
tap into your knowledge about attracting and maintaining mason bees in
community gardens.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so, any tips? What are
the negatives to introducing these bees? Is it likely for other
(perhaps malicious) insects to move into mason bee homes?

I'm just starting to research this idea. We'll likely make our own
blocks. We were planning on hanging them rather high up on some posts
we have, and I am concerned that the bees will not find the blocks
that high up (maybe 10-12 feet), though I haven't seen any
documentation that touches on this issue.

I have a ton more questions but we'll see how the conversation
manifests first :)

Thanks!

Diana
Seattle, WA