Re: Mason Bees

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Mason Bees
  • From: "Mike McGrath" MikeMcG@PTD.net
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:23:36 -0500

I LOVE Mason (and other Native) bees!
They attract and do nothing bad; they just pollinate your crops like crazy.
I'm no expert, but I'd try and hang those houses lower--maybe 4 to 8 feet high. DON'T use pressure treasure treated or highly aromatic wood. And maybe try the 'lots of straws in a coffee can trick". I've heard that one works great.
---Mike McG
PS: You've inspired me! I'm going to suggest that one of my upcoming children's stories for the Rodale Institute (http://www.kidsregen.org/paperGarden/) be about Mason bees!