What Vegetables to Grow?

  • Subject: [cg] What Vegetables to Grow?
  • From: "Judy Wisk Ned Ray" wiskray@access4less.net
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:32:21 -0600

The responses to what veggies to grow are on target.  Ask those who benefit
from your bounty.  Do connect with the local food bank/pantries in your area
to obtain their input.  If you have thyme, consider visiting an agency during
food distribution time so you can speak with the recipients.  As they wait in
line, individuals are usually very willing to answer your questions.  As a
dietitian working with the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, I am
regularly challenged to find creative ways to encourage food pantries to take
and use a variety of produce...especially if they are not familiar with it.
In turn, our challenge at the food bank is to turn the produce over quickly
before it spoils and to work with limited refrigerated storage space.  The
GPCFB is the beneficiary of all the produce grown and harvested on our "Food
Farm."  I don't know what they are planning to grow this year, but you may
contact me directly so I can share with you what they are planning to plant
this year.  Last year's plantings included at least tomatoes, cabbage,
collards.....I know there were other veggies.  There are raspberries and many
young fruit trees as well (nothing harvest yet)

For leftover produce, try to connect with an on site feeding program such as a
soup kitchen, after school program, senior center, etc.  Those sites are
usually very willing to accept and are very grateful for any and all produce
they receive.

Check with your local extension service to get a list of farmer's markets.  If
the farmers are listed, contact them to see what sells at market thyme.

Hope these ideas help.  Judy Wisk -- (jwisk@pittsburghfoodbank.org)