RE: what vegetables to grow?

  • Subject: [cg] RE: what vegetables to grow?
  • From: "Tom Dietrich" tdietrich@metroparks.org
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:24:50 -0500

I agree that shelf life is a consideration, esp. if the donations are
going to a Food Bank.  That said, when we surveyed the partnering
organizations in our local food bank network, tomatoes still made #2 on
the list.  See below for the results (in order of preference).  Note
that some of the org's are soup kitchens as well as food distribution
centers.  I would definitely recommend a survey of the folks you plan to
donate to, if at all possible.

sweet corn, tomatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, carrots,
melons, greens, onions, cucumbers, dry beans, lettuce, broccoli, peas,
peppers, cauliflower, and garlic.

Good luck!

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors