Re: RE: what vegetables to grow?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] RE: what vegetables to grow?
  • From: Jim Call jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:09:02 -0600

Survey says....

Since our community garden harvest goes to the elderly and homebound, corn isn't planted because many of them
have problems eating corn on the cob. The other reason we don't grow corn is that we don't get enough "bang for our buck" when you factor in the real estate it takes to grow it as compared to the yields of other vegetables. Since our CG is only *.4* of an acre in plantable space, we need to maximize its harvest (12,800+ lbs. last year).

I agree with everyone about tomatoes having a short shelf life and if your harvest storage is similar to a food bank scenario then it would be much lower on the list of desired vegetables. Our harvest is distributed to our clients within 12 hours of harvest during the week and within 2 hours on Saturdays so its much fresher than going to your local store or food bank. Our volunteers make individual home deliveries and in mass (retirement apartments / towers, etc.).
Jim in AL

.
Tom Dietrich wrote:

I agree that shelf life is a consideration, esp. if the donations are
going to a Food Bank.  That said, when we surveyed the partnering
organizations in our local food bank network, tomatoes still made #2 on
the list.  See below for the results (in order of preference).  Note
that some of the org's are soup kitchens as well as food distribution
centers.  I would definitely recommend a survey of the folks you plan to
donate to, if at all possible.

sweet corn, tomatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, carrots,
melons, greens, onions, cucumbers, dry beans, lettuce, broccoli, peas,
peppers, cauliflower, and garlic.

Good luck!

Tom

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors
Dayton, OH

Message: 1
b=AJ/Hm9gwGq6xzwi73DUEM4t0SnYD8cmHuLK/ubj5SkagtnwpJ42sqpfrDZlb/Civ7b24+1
Mnkq0bpfp5OUk3w6drtpRUoavTuyal9afZWd2LPjqLWZq7gh82URBvojkl5zKLEm8P+SkSxV
iJFYR5X3D3B4aWHiVqt4PP9zqfupA=