New Haven Growing Communities workshop

  • Subject: [cg] New Haven Growing Communities workshop
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:46:24 -0500

Oops, previous email went out without all the information.

The American Community Gardening Association is hosting an additional
session of our 2-day Growing Communities workshop in New Haven,
Connecticut on April 22 and 23.  Below and attached is the workshop
flyer and registration form.  For travel scholarship information contact
Betsy Johnson at 877-275-2242.  Registration is limited.

   Growing community
                       A HANDS-ON WORKSHOP

                          Sponsored by:

ACGA: American Community Gardening Association
Community Foundation for Greater New Haven

New Haven Ecology Project

City of New Haven Department of Parks, Recreation and Trees
New Haven Urban Resources Initiative

New Haven Land Trust

cultivating
. grassroots leadership
. successful fundraising
and grantwriting
. effective community
organizing and
volunteer management
. powerful presentation
and publicity skills
. greener, stronger and
safer neighborhoods
  through
     COMMUNITY
     GARDENING

April 22-23, 2005
Friday and Saturday
   Common Ground
      High School
  358 Springside Avenue
  New Haven, CT
  06515

Registration: $25
Includes 2 day training,
350 page resource book,
membership in the American
Community Gardening Association,
and delicious meals.
Scholarships available.

Information: Rebecca Holcombe 203-389-4333  rholcombe@nhep.com or

Doreen Larson-Oboyski 203-946-2203 Doboyski@newhavenct.net

GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP
FRIDAY - SATURDAY, APRIL 22-23, 2005

REGISTRATION FORM
(send this in!)

Please send your registration form and check to:

                                                            Rebecca
Holcombe
                                                            358
Springside Avenue
                                                            New Haven,
CT 06515

Name:
Organization (if applicable):
Address:
City:

State.................Zip:
Phone:
Email:

___Yes. I would like to attend the workshop. To reserve my space, I'm
sending this form along with a check for $25 (made payable to New Haven
Ecology Project) to Rebecca Holcombe,

___Yes. I want to attend the workshop and receive a partial scholarship.
I'm sending this form with a check for $15 to Rebecca Holcombe. On the
reverse of this form or on the enclosed one page letter, I'm briefly
stating why I need for the partial scholarship.

(Space in this workshop is limited, and will be filled on a 'first
come-first served' basis as organizers rholcombe@nhep.com.)

Electronic filing: You may temporarily reserve a place by sending your
form to sholcombe@nhep.com However, you will not be registered until we
receive your registration fee. Sorry, we are not able to accept
electronic payment via credit card.

About you and your program (please respond briefly on the back):
Please answer the following questions - they will help us create a
better training experience:

1.         We want to hear about what you are doing! Please bring
materials about your program to share. Do you need space for a board, or
a way to show a video?
2.        What are you hoping to get out of this workshop, both
personally and in terms of how it can benefit your program?
3.        Which areas do you or your program focus on? (For instance:
Community gardening; food security; environmental protection and
restoration; horticultural therapy; urban agriculture; assistance to
people in need; senior services; youth and education; immigrant
populations.etc.).
4.        In your program, how do you view your role? (For example:
Volunteer, full-time focus, one part of a larger set of
responsibilities.)
5.      What type of program do you work with? (For example: Private
non-profit; governmental agency; grassroots citizen group; public
school; private school, etc.) Please tell us a little about your
group.7. If you could change one thing about community gardening in your
community, what would it be?

GROWING COMMUNITIES WORKSHOP
FRIDAY - SATURDAY, APRIL 22-23, 2005
Common Ground High School/New Haven Ecology Project
New Haven, Connecticut, CT 06515

INFORMATION SHEET
(keep this form!)

About the training (why two days?):

Growing Communities is both a training program, and a 'training of
trainers'. For that reason, we give preference to those able to attend
both Friday and Saturday. During the Saturday workshop, you will be
learning new material, and - equally important - putting your training
to use by presenting a workshop module to the group. Both steps are very
important learning experiences, and the active involvement is what sets
this workshop apart. -

Location and driving directions:

Common Ground High School( nhep.com)
358 Springside Avenue
New Haven, CT 06515

From the North: I-91 to New Haven exit 1, Route 34. Follow to end (Exit
3) and continue on Frontage Rd. approximately 1.1 miles until Ella T.
Grasso Blvd. Turn right on Ella T. Grasso Blvd and continue approx. .9
miles until the fourth light, Whalley Ave. Turn left on Whalley Ave and
continue approximately .5 miles to Fitch Street (right after the Exxon
station). Turn right onto Fitch St. At first light turn left onto Blake
St. At the second light, turn right onto Springside Ave. Continue
approximately 6/10ths mile. Driveway is on the left. (The first driveway
after area becomes wooded.) Park in lot at bottom of hill with other
cars.
From the East: Take I-95 to New Haven and get off at the Downtown New
Haven Exit, Route 34. This is an access road. Follow above "Out of Town"
directions.
From the West: Take I-95 to New Haven and get off at the Downtown New
Haven Exit. It is a left hand exit. This is an access road. Follow above
"Out of Town" directions.

Lodging information:

Participants make their own lodging arrangements. Home hospitality may
be available, please inquire. New Haven offers a wide range of
accommodation options, including the following; Courtyard by Marriott at
Yale, New Haven, 203-777-6221 (mention the ACGA and the price will be
$99 if you register by March 24th - after March 24th $129 and up); Econo
Lodge- 100 Pond Lily Ave, 203-387-6651 (mention ACGA and the price will
be $66.80 with tax) New Haven Hotel (mention the ACGA and the price will
be $105).  There will also be camping available at the Common Ground
High School/New Haven Ecology Project.  Call Rebecca Holcombe for
details 203-389-4333

Display materials:

Remember to bring display materials about your projects! And let us know
your needs on the registration form.

Troubleshooting and contact information:

Rebecca Holcombe 203-389-4333 or Doreen Larson-Oboyski 203-946-2203

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of 2005 NewHaven Flyer.doc.doc]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of 2005NewHaven Reg Info 1.doc.doc]