FW: Cornelius, NC Growing Communities workshop

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Cornelius, NC Growing Communities workshop
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:57:04 -0500

Registration: $35
Includes 2 day training,
350 page resource book,
membership in the American
Community Gardening Association,
and delicious meals.
Scholarships available.
Sponsored by:
ACGA: The American Community Gardening Association, Mecklenburg County
Waste Reduction/Recycling PLANT Program
The Town of Cornelius Parks and Recreation Department, GRITS: Garden
Renaissance In The South
Funded by: USDA: The United States Department of Agriculture
INFORMATION 704-375-1913 seablotnick@bellsouth.net The Human Tree, Hans
Grien (woodcut, Strassburg 1515) :
Flyer design and editing by Don Boekelheide, GRITS, using Indesign 2.0
for Mac
ACGA's Growing Communities workshop
Growing Communities is a dynamic, enjoyable, hands-on, two day training
in community building and organizational
development. Lead by experienced facilitators, the workshop will teach
you proven strategies and techniques for
making your community organization more effective and sustainable.
Who is the workshop for?
Growing Communities is open to all, and of special interest to community
organizers, public employees, non-profit workers and volunteers, and
everyone interested in community gardens and greening; recycling and
composting; environmental protection; social and economic justice; food
security and hunger; youth, senior, and inter-generational gardening;
programs; horticulture therapy; Cooperative Extension; and urban
What is the cost, and what 'take away' will I get from attending?
The cost is $35, with scholarships available. Participants receive the
training, a 352-page
Growing Communities Curriculum, a year membership in ACGA (including
ACGA's publications), and breakfasts and lunches.
When does it start, and how long does it last?
The workshop begins at 8:30 AM on Friday, April 8, at the Cornelius Town
Hall, with continental breakfast provided. Workshop
activities will continue until 6 PM, followed by a visit to Robbins Park
Community Garden in Cornelius. On Saturday, sessions
begin at 8:30 AM and end at 3:00 PM. Each day is di.erent, so plan to
attend both
days and the Friday afternoon and evening activities.
Who teaches the workshop?
Experienced facilitators from ACGA guide workshops, under the direction
Executive Director and veteran Boston community garden leader Betsy
Who is the sponsor?
The American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) presents the
Local hosts are Mecklenburg County's PLANT (Piedmont Landscape and
Naturescape Training) program, which
encourages home composting and low-waste landscaping; and the Town of
Parks and Recreation Department, organizers of Robbins Park Community
Garden. USDA funds the training.
What is Growing Communities based on?
The training is a based on the best training sessions covered at ACGA
conferences over 25 years. Community gardens and
greening projects are proven tools for building community and
strengthening neighborhoods. However, experience
teaches that garden programs thrive only when they are well organized;
with secure funding, strong grassroots leadership and volunteer
involvement, and a commitment to community building. That's what this
training is all about. Thus far, the training
has taken place in nearly a dozen US cities,to rave reviews.
What does this have to do withgardening, anyway?
This training focuses on the human and organizational side of community
gardening and greening programs, not technical gardening - because
gardens most often get into trouble not because of horticulture
but because of problems with planning, organization, funding, publicity,
and/or relations with decision-makers. However, no one disputes the
value of gardening, and many trainers are skilled and passionate
gardeners. There will be a
community garden tour Friday afternoon, and a 'dirt gardener' caucus and
idea exchange on Friday evening. If you are
interested in topics such as horticultural aspects of community
gardening and greening, urban agriculture, composting and native plant
habitat restoration, please indicate that to the contact person.
Where can I stay?
Low-cost motel accomodations are available close to the site in
Cornelius. We will be glad to pass your name along to other trainees, if
you'd like to share a room. Some home-hosting may be available. Please
let the contact person know if you are
interested in either of these options. If you live in the Charlotte
area, you should easily be able to commute - the meeting site is
5 minutes from I-77 exit 28, just north of Charlotte.
Any special requirements I should be aware of?
No. Organizers ask only that you attend both days. That said, this is an
active training - be ready to get involved leading sessions yourself and
working collaboratively with your fellow trainees and facilitators,
building on your own experiences, observations and creative ideas. Dress
is informal and comfortable. Bring a pad of paper and pen for taking
Who can answer my questions?
June Blotnick, organizer of Charlotte's Midwood Park Community Garden,
is the contact person for the training. She is the person to see for
registration and information. Contact her at 704-375-1913 ;
(send this in!)
Please send your registration form and check to:
Mecklenburg Avenue
NC 28205
Organization (if applicable):
___Yes. I would like to attend the workshop. To reserve my space, I'm
sending this form along with a check for $35 (made payable to
Mecklenburg County PLANT) to June Blotnick,
___Yes. I want to attend the workshop and receive a partial scholarship.
I'm sending this form with a check for $20 to June Blotnick. On the
reverse of this form or on the enclosed one page letter, I'm briefly
stating why I need for the partial scholarship.
(Space in this workshop is limited, and will be filled on a 'first
come-first served' basis as organizers receive applications with
For information, please call June Blotnick at 704-375-1913, or by email
at seablotnick@bellsouth.net.
Electronic filing: You may temporarily reserve a place by sending your
form to  <mailto:seablotnick@bellsouth.net> seablotnick@bellsouth.net.
However, you will not be registered until we receive your registration
fee. Sorry, we are not able to accept electronic payment via credit
About you and your program (please respond briefly on the back):
Please answer the following questions - they will help us create a
better training experience:
1. Let us know your diet preferences (vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal,
vedanist.or allergies).
2. We want to hear about what you are doing! Please bring materials
about your program to share. Do you need space for a board, or a way to
show a video?
3. What are you hoping to get out of this workshop, both personally and
in terms of how it can benefit your program?
4.  Which areas do you or your program focus on? (For instance:
Community gardening; food security; environmental protection and
restoration; horticultural therapy; urban agriculture; assistance to
people in need; senior services; youth and education; immigrant
5. In your program, how do you view your role? (For example: Volunteer,
full-time focus, one part of a larger set of responsibilities.)
6. What type of program do you work with? (For example: Private
non-profit; governmental agency; grassroots citizen group; public
school; private school, etc.) Please tell us a little about your
group.7. If you could change one thing about community gardening in your
community, what would it be?

(keep this form!)
About the training (why two days?):
Growing Communities is both a training program, and a 'training of
trainers'. For that reason, we give preference to those able to attend
both Friday and Saturday. During the Saturday workshop, you will be
learning new material, and - equally important - putting your training
to use by presenting a workshop module to the group. Both steps are very
important learning experiences, and the active involvement is what sets
this workshop apart. -
Location and driving directions:
Cornelius Town Hall
21445 Catawba Avenue
Cornelius, NC 28031
Take exit 28 from I77, turn east on Catawba Avenue (toward the historic
center of town), and follow Catawba approximately 3/4 mile, past the
library and Cornelius elementary school. The town hall is the large
building on your left, shortly before Catawba Avenue ends at Main
Lodging information:
Participants make their own lodging arrangements. Home hospitality may
be available, please enquire. At US 77 Exit 28, a half-mile from the
workshop site, are the following motels (estimated price based on online
info - be sure to check for yourself!): Holiday Inn Charlotte-Lake
Norman, 704-892-9120 ($51.75 and up); Microtel Inn, 704-895-1828 ($53.00
and up); Best Western Lake Norman, 704-896-0660 ($57.79 and up); Econo
Lodge Lake Norman, 704-892-3500 ($59.95 and up); Hampton Inn Lake
Norman, 704-892-9900 ($69.00 and up); Comfort Inn & Suites, 704-896-7622
($73.99). Cornelius is zip code 28031.
Display materials:
Remember to bring display materials about your projects! And let us know
your needs on the registration form.
Troubleshooting and contact information:
June Blotnick 704-375-1913
Cornelius Town Hall, 704-892-6031

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of NCgrowing community flyer FINAL.pdf]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of NCregistration plus info.doc]