Growing Communities Workshop in Fresno

  • Subject: [cg] Growing Communities Workshop in Fresno
  • From: "Betsy Johnson" betsy@bgjohnson.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:12:59 -0500

ACGA will be hosting the 2-day Growing Communities Workshop in Fresno,
California on April 15-16, 2005.   Registration form is pasted below, or
go to http://www.fresnometmin.org/fmm/gardens.html
Please join the American Community Gardening Association, Fresno
Metro Ministry & UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners for the.
Who: Leaders, educators, volunteers, and supporters of community
gardening and
What: Two-day leadership workshop on community building, leadership, and
organizational development through community gardening
When: April 15th & 16th (Attendance on both Friday and Saturday is
First Day-8:30 am-6:00 pm; Second Day-8:30 am-4:30 pm
Where: Garden of the Sun - 1944 N. Winery Ave., Fresno, CA (Next to the
Discovery Center)
Cost: $20 per individual *. ACGA members free. Scholarships available.
(Advanced registration required, ACGA membership - $35)
Join the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) and Fresno
Metro Ministry for an indepth,
hands-on workshop based on the ACGA's curriculum for leadership
development, "Growing
Communities: Community Building and Organizational Development through
Community Gardening."
Learn proven strategies that community organizers use to develop dynamic
leaders and create strong
communities through a participatory approach to community building. You
will learn the principles and
practices of community building, and how to pass these techniques on to
others in your community by
conducting your own workshops.
This two-day workshop will cover these topics: Community Organizing,
Leadership Development,
Grassroots Fundraising Basics, Communications Planning, Coalition
Participants receive the "Growing Communities Curriculum,"* a 352 page
resource workbook, which
includes curriculum materials that walk the reader through the process
of conducting training workshops.
The Curriculum also addresses Diversity, Asset-Based Community
Development, Meeting Facilitation and
Group Decision-Making, Developing a Board of Directors, and Grassroots
Fundraising - Specific
Simultaneous interpretation provided by Fresno Metro Ministry
Jeremy Hofer, Fresno Metro Ministry Hunger & Nutrition Project (559)
485-1416 /
Please find workshop location/directions, lodging/transportation,
and registration forms on the following pages!
FRESNO METRO MINISTRY . www.fresnometroministry.org
1055 North Van Ness Avenue . Suite H . Fresno, California 93728
PHONE: 559/485.1416 . FAX: 559/485.9109 . EMAIL:
Garden of the Sun
1944 N. Winery Ave.,
Fresno, CA
(Next to the
Discovery Center).
From Highway 99 or 41:
Take 180 East
Exit Chestnut north
Right on McKinley
Left on Winery
. Registration is $20, scholarships available.
. Registration includes a copy of "Growing Communities Curriculum," a
$35 value.
. Space is limited to 45 participants. Advance registration is required
but you may pay upon arrival.
. Questions? Contact Jeremy@fresnometmin.org / 559 485-1416
. Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided on both days
. Plan to enjoy a no-host group dinner at a local restaurant on Friday
. FAX Bus Route #41
. For transportation and/or scholarship assistance, contact Jeremy Hofer
at 559-485-1416 or
Presented by Fresno Metro Ministry with the American Community Gardening
Association & the UC Cooperative
Extension Master Gardeners
Name Language
Street Address
Phone Fax
____ Yes! I would like to attend. I am mailing this registration form
and my check (made payable to Fresno Metro
Ministry). We'll call or email to confirm that we've received your
registration and reserved your spot.
___Sadly, I cannot attend. BUT, I would like to become an ACGA member
and receive the Growing
Communities curriculum for $35. I am mailing this form and my $35 check
(made payable to ACGA) to ACGA, 51
Chambers Street #228, New York, NY 10007 or www.communitygardening.org
* (Workshop participants will receive the curriculum for free as part of
the training)