Update on LSU Mulch Warning

  • Subject: [cg] Update on LSU Mulch Warning
  • From: Yvonne Savio ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:44:37 -0800

Hi, All--

Thanks to Wynne Thursby, one of our Master Gardeners, who checked further:

>>Further checking on this shows that quarantine procedures are in place in
>>the affected parishes in LA to prevent this from happening. To wit,
>>
>>Movement of wood or cellulose material is prohibited unless either (1) it
>>is fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean termites and is
>>approved for movement by the commissioner or his designee(s) or (2)
>>written authorization is given by the commissioner or his designee(s) for
>>the movement of untreated wood or cellulose material from the quarantined
>>parishes.
>>
>>So the likelihood of this becoming a problem is extremely small.

Ciao for now.

Yvonne Savio
Common Ground Garden Program Manager
University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County
Mail:  PO Box 22255, Los Angeles CA 90022
Location:  4800 E. Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90022
Phone:  323-260-3407
Fax:            323-881-0067
Email:  ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
Website:        http://celosangeles.ucdavis.edu/garden/
Master Gardener Email Gardening Helpline:  mglosangeleshelpline@ucdavis.edu
Master Gardener Phone Gardening Helpline:  323-260-3238

Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program help low-income and
limited-resource county residents to grow and eat more nutritious
vegetables and fruits.  Programs include Master Gardener volunteers
(seasonal gardening presentations) and Fresh From The Garden volunteers
(simple nutrition and food safety presentations).  We work primarily with
community gardens, school gardens, seniors, and homeless and battered
women's shelters.

2004 Winner
"Feeding the Hungry"
Garden Crusader Award