Re: "Earthboxes" - pro/con

  • Subject: Re: [cg] "Earthboxes" - pro/con
  • From: "Debby Williams" will1322@msu.edu
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:12:03 -0600

Earthboxes are being promoted around Chicago as part of  the UN Growing
Connection.  They use a soilless media so you would need fertilizer for the
plants to receive any nutrients.    You could use fish emulsion in the
water, but would need to be conscious of cleaning the lines regularly as I
believe they would clog.  As far as weight for moving them, there is a 2
gallon water reservoir in the bottom so that would be adding a lot of weight
to the box when it is full.  There should be some way to manage the water to
reduce the weight if you wanted to move them.

I don't consider growing in soilless media very sustainable.  If you did
something similar with a compost mix you would have the nutrition addressed
in part, and the sustainability.

The benefit: you would be avoiding the soil contamination issues common to
urban environments.  However, there are other ways to grow above ground that
would be more permanent that could address the contamination issues.

Debby Williams