More on LA's South Central Farm

This, admittedly, came from a Green Party press
release, but I thought its summation of why we need to
fight for South Central Farms, as well as other
community gardens, was eloquent and concise. The
synopsis of the plight of the farm is right on.

The farmers will be evicted next week by big developer
Ralph Horowitz, who was given a secret, "sweetheart
deal" by the city of Los Angeles. He was allowed to
buy the property for only $5.1 million, when it was
appraised a decade ago for three times that. Horowitz
is demanding the farmers pay him $16 million or he'll
kick them off the land and build a warehouse.

"We support the farmers' resistance to eviction, to
relocation, to environmental racism," said Linda
Piera-Avila, secretary of the Los Angeles Greens.

"In the shadow of downtown's skyscrapers, in an
economically disadvantaged area, their farm stands as
a testament to the power of multi-racial community
building, local food production, the environmental
value of green open space and social justice in the
face of corporate greed and lack of civic
accountability," she added. Farmers say they are
preparing to stay on urban farm even if they lose in
court. They are prepared to risk arrest, but
Piera-Avila said Los Angeles area Greens "stand in
solidarity with the South Central Farmers who have
taken personal responsibility for nurturing this 14
acre urban
jewel of life.

"This is the kind of global responsibility the Green
Party advocates. With peak oil's effects looming, the
South Central Farmers can teach us how to live more
sustainably. Their skills should be lauded by the City
of L.A. as a valuable resource to be emulated, far
more worthwhile to our future and to the planet than
any warehouse could ever be," she said.

Amen, Sister.

david

David King, Garden Master
  The Learning Garden
  www.thelearninggarden.org
  office  310.722.3656

 A garden, where one may enter in and forget the whole world,
 cannot be made in a week, nor a month, nor a year; it must
 be planned for, waited for and loved into being.

 Chinese Proverb