Re: seeking advice on integrating beekeeping into urban community gardening

  • Subject: Re: [cg] seeking advice on integrating beekeeping into urban community gardening
  • From: "Mike McGrath" MikeMcG@PTD.net
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:54:24 -0500

I know that Adam and his fellows have been very successful with their honey-makers in NYC; I was pleased to be gifted with a jar of "Hell's Kitchen honey". But I personally think they're a lot of work--and they require the use of toxic pesticides.
One alternative to what is essentially an "artificial" hive of imported Italian honeybees (who are very weak in our climate, and so must be treated with antibiotics and pesticides on a regular basis to protect them from disease and mites) is to maximize strategies for attracting NATIVE bees (Mason, blue-faced, orchard, bumble, etc., etc.).
These natives are naturally healthy, require no direct care, are MUCH better pollinators, the males have no stingers (and the females are docile) and there is no large structure to attract vandals. No honey, tho.
Best, Mike McGrath

---- Original Message ----- From: "Zach Feris" <zferis@yahoo.com>