seeking advice on integrating beekeeping into urban communitygardening

  • Subject: [cg] seeking advice on integrating beekeeping into urban communitygardening
  • From: Zach Feris zferis@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:44:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi gang,
  This growing season, members of the Brunswick Community Garden in Jersey City, NJ will be deciding whether or not to integrate a new element into the garden landscape - a beehive. I'm aware that a number of community gardens in NYC, and elsewhere, have successfully done thus for a number of years now. Due to member interest, we've decided to follow suit.
  The primary concern, as anyone would imagine, is human safety. Although, in this litigious age, folks seem to move quickly along from concerns of safety to concerns of liability. Whatever your line of thinking, here's the thing - honeybees do occasionally sting people, and some people are allergic to bee stings.
  We'd be really interested in hearing from those of you out there who have experience navigating these issues, specifically in an urban setting. We'd really like to do this, but we want to be sure that we do it well. Thanks, in advance!
  Zach Feris, Co-Director
  Email:  zferis@yahoo.com
  Brunswick Community Garden
  Web:  http://www.geocities.com/jccommunitygarden/