Local Event: Lubbock, TX El Jardin Revitalization, 3/23/6

  • Subject: [cg] Local Event: Lubbock, TX El Jardin Revitalization, 3/23/6
  • From: "Ryan Oles" RyanO@brownmckee.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:28:29 -0600

Hello everyone,

	I am an avid Gardener here in West Texas.  Recently I moved from a house
(which afforded me a very large backyard for my vegetable garden), into an
apartment on another side of town.  With spring coming I began getting the
"itch" and noticed that my new neighborhood had a community garden, (or
rather used to have a community garden).  After digging around and asking a
few questions I became acquainted with the local neighborhood organization
(which happens to be a registered nonprofit corporation).  They own the
garden but admitted they have done nothing with it in quite some time.  It
was established about 15 yrs ago, with a pretty nice setup (faucets on every
plot, a shed, and a small community area), but now has fallen into
disrepair.  There are a couple gardeners hanging in there and working a
couple of plots, but other than this nothing has been done.  The fence is in
terrible condition, and the weeds are taking over.  By showing interest in
this, the Neighborhood Association nominated and elected me to the Chair
position of a newly (just then) created "Community Garden Committee".  I
have done some work the past few weekends with the remaining gardeners,
(picking up trash, agreeing on rules and lease agreements, and pulling
weeds) and the place looks allot better.  Now I am at a bit of a loss.
There is very little funding for this garden (just enough to pay the water
bill), and we are in desperate need of new tools and repairs to the fence. I
have read through www.communitygarden.org and found it very informative.  I
have been gardening for some time now, but managing a community garden is
quite a different thing and very new territory for me; any suggestions,
ideas, comments, or encouragements would be helpful.

Regards,
Phillip R. Oles
Lubbock, TX