RE: rabbits

  • Subject: [cg] RE: rabbits
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:36:55 -0500

Hi, Folks!

My PA Dutch grandfather had a very simple attitude towards uninvited
herbivores in his garden -- you eat my veggies, I'll eat you!  He made my
mother a beautiful rabbit fur muff and mittens one year.

Here in Phoenixville, we purchased a groundhog-sized "Have a Heart" trap for
about $60 at French Creek Outfitters (any hunting supply shop will have
them).  Our elderly African-American gardener secures it with a padlocked
chain so that curious kids don't move it and then he and his buddies feast
on roast groundhog with onions for the season (last year was especially busy
-- I think his catch was 16).  This is a big deal for them  -- they roast
the groundhog, they drink beer, they talk about World War II and Vietnam  --
the wives won't touch it, but these gentlemen really look forward to their
groundhog get-togethers.

You can do the same with rabbits, although our feral cats seem to take care
of the babies, so the rabbits tend to stay in the woods and out of the
garden.  Any adult rabbit that strays into the garden gets chased out by my
Border Collie, or ends up in the groundhog trap where it, too, ends up on
the menu.

Sensitive types tend to get upset about the traps, but once they find out
someone is actually consuming what is caught, their opposition evaporates
quickly -- so from a political standpoint, it's usually better to eat your
catch (either yourself or a reward to a local dog or cat) because then it's
just another community garden crop! ;-)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of