Re: Starting a Community Garden in a Rural Area

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Starting a Community Garden in a Rural Area
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:11:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Ms. Hunter,

I'm honored to be referred your way by a legendary
community gardener like Adam. If he can do it in
Manhattan, you can do it in Haywood County.

My mom grew up in Macon County, and I still have lots
of relatives around Franklin - my aunt taught for many
years at Western in Cullowhee. Great part of the
world.

Asheville is reawakening to community gardening, after
things being a bit quiet there for a few years. There
isn't yet a community gardening organization in the
mountains that I know of, so I'd start by contacting
Pat Battle in Burnsville, at Carl and Pat's Organics,
828-675-5920, patrykbattle@hotmail.com. He's doing
great work with organics and sustainability, knows
composting inside and out, and may know who to
contact. He has his own community supported
agriculture (CSA) farm near Celo - you may want to
consider a hybrid CSA-community garden in your area,
since you've got lots of space, seasoned small farmers
who know their land very well, and even a potential
market in Asheville.

Check out the birdhouse auction on April 8 at the
French Broad Food Co-op, 90 Biltmore Ave., Asheville.
Proceeds for this event, which I know nothing about,
go to  "benefit community gardening in Asheville". The
contact number is 257-4000, that might be your best
lead.

You might also want to check in with the good folks at
Warren Wilson College in Swannanoa. They have a small
farm/sustainable farming program at their college, and
may have some ideas and sources of help for community
gardening.

North Carolina A&T (Dr. Keith Baldwin) in Greensboro
recently held a daylong community gardening workshop,
and he may have some contacts and ideas as well - I
believe some folks from the mountains attended the
workshop, but I'm not certain of that. Ph: (336)
334-7957, kbaldwin@ncat.edu. They have a terrific
Cooperative Extension community garden behind the
extension office - Melinda Walker, the
super-Master-Gardener who has helped make this a
garden a reality might be good to talk with -
Gsowalker@aol.com

Canton is a fine place for a community gardening
project, I think. Decades ago, the, uh, 'aroma' of
Canton as we drove to visit my grandparents made a
permanent impression on my childhood nose. Things are
better now. I wonder if the paper mill might not
eventually be a source of funding support for the
garden, at some point down the road.

Anyway, best of luck. If you are ever down in
Charlotte, I'd be happy to show you around some of our
community gardens down here in the Piedmont.
Meanwhile, enjoy those mountains.

Don Boekelheide
704-599-9435

http://www.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/Departments/LUESA/Solid+Waste/PLANT+Program/Community+Gardens.htm