Re: Starting a Community Garden in a Rural Area

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Starting a Community Garden in a Rural Area
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:48:31 -0500

Dear Ms. Hunter,

Please go to the American Community Gardeing Association website - http://www.communitygarden.org
which has a wealth of information on the set up, organization and sustainance of community gardens.

You have some fine community gardens in North Carolina that are affiliated with the American Community Gardening Association and you should be able to find them in the links section:

1) http://www.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/Departments/LUESA/Solid+Waste/PLANT+Program/Community+Gardens.htm

2) http://www.mccollcenter.org/nav.cfm?cat=15&subcat=77&subsub=44

3) http://other.cornelius.org/parksrec/programs/flyer_commgarden.shtm

While most community gardens (like the one I volunteer with in NYC http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org ) tend to be urban, or suburban, there are rural community gardens and are a real boon to food banks and soup kitchens in fighting hunger in America.

I've copied this message to Don Boekelheide, an ACGA stalwart and editor of the latest, greatest ACGA annual report, who should be getting in touch with you.

Happy gardening,

Adam Honigman
Hell's Kitchen, NYC