From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <llondon@bellsouth.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: [permaculture] Rampaging Rustics!
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 4:37 PM

Rampaging Rustics!
By David Ivins

>From the New York Times

In case you city dwellers and suburbanites haven't noticed, be warned: the
countryside is slowly creeping up on you. Like a rapidly growing weed that
smothers everything in its path, rural areas are encroaching on our cities
and suburbs, and no one -- not our elected officials, public interest
groups or citizens -- is doing anything to stop this rural sprawl.

In countless confrontations, rural extremists are preventing businesses
from building industrial parks, shopping malls, condominiums, single-family
homes, theme parks, airports and sports arenas. They are even fighting the
construction of new highways! What would the country be without the network
of freeways and parkways linking our cities, suburbs, shopping malls, theme
parks and sports arenas?

Rural sprawl began quietly with the infiltration, in ever-increasing
numbers, of wildlife -- squirrels, rabbits, songbirds and other small,
cuddly, apparently innocuous creatures -- into our suburbs and the fringes
of our major cities. Now it seems that these small animals were only the
advance guard of a cunningly planned invasion that also includes deer,
coyotes, beavers,
mountain lions, bears and other despoilers of our cherished suburban and
urban
habitats.

Areas that otherwise would be given over to job creation and highly
profitable logging, strip mining and oil drilling are being expropriated by
wild animals, which are inherently valueless since they contribute nothing
to our economy. Once these beasts establish themselves, shielded by
hellbent wildlife-protection groups and misguided politicians from Al Gore
to Christie Todd Whitman, they can never be dislodged. But these animals
are only the unwitting servants of the quaint-seeming "country folk" whose
diabolical plan is to eradicate or make unlivable
our suburbs and cities by covering our streets, sidewalks and highways with
grass, shrubbery and trees. They want to inundate shopping malls and sports
arenas with lakes, ponds and streams; replace our condo developments with
"picturesque" villages and hamlets and our suburban tract homes with
drafty, old-fashioned farmhouses. The ultimate goal of these fanatical
rustics is to return all of us to lives of unsophisticated rural
primitivism. Is this the kind of life we want to
lead?

Fight rural sprawl now, before it's too late!

David Ivins is a freelance writer.
Copyright 1999 The New York Times 2/25/99

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: guyclark@socket.net
leave-permaculture-75897H@franklin.oit.unc.edu