[cg] What's Up in Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering

The website below links to a slide presentation on biotechnology done by
the University of California - Berkeley

<http://plantbio.berkeley.edu/~outreach/WHATIS.HTM#16>

It gives a quick overview of biotechnology, genetic engineering

It starts out

"Today I would like to talk with you about the new genetic technologies
being used to modify crop plants. I will try to give you the information
that you will need to understand the technology and how it differs from the
classical means we have used to modify our foods in the past.

This is not the first technology that has impacted the food supply in the
10,000-year history of farming. As with other such technologies, the
domestication of plants and animals, mechanization, chemical fertilizers
and pesticides, the application of the new genetic tools brings questions
that involve risks and benefits. We are living in an increasingly complex
world where we are called upon to make decisions on technically complex
matters and often we are not armed with the facts that we need to make
informed decisions.

What I would like to do today is to give you enough information so that you
will be able to make informed decisions about how these technologies will
be used and how the foods derived from this technology differ from the ones
we now eat. . . ."

Lucy K. Bradley
Extension Agent, Urban Horticulture
Maricopa County