RE: Starting a Community Garden

More research and tedium, I'm afraid, but there are alot of good do and
DON'T information here.You should check out the  links on the ACGA website:
http://communitygarden.org./index.html ; The Trust for Public Land site:
http://www.igc.apc.apc.org.tpl ; The Green Guerillas Organization:
http://www.greenguerillas.org ; and the archives of the community gardeners
webserv : http://community_garden@mallorn.com ( there is much great stuff
that you can use.) One of the oldest continually runing community gardens in
the US is  University of Wisconsin Eagle Heights Garden ( website:
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden . )

For good measure, please check out garden rules on the website of our tiny (
less than an acre) NYC community garden
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org . In NYC, land use is a blood sport as
contentious as anything in the Middle East. My personal word of wisdom is
that community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% political. Folks around
you have to want to have your there as an amenity for the neighborhood.
Otherwise the there will always be another usage ( old people's home,
yuppie-coops, health center) that will take precedence to the community

With your brilliant gardening talents and newly acquired organizing skills,
you'll be leading us.

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden