RE: ground prep for raised beds

Thanks you for your sage counsel. I hope that all new community gardens
start off as charter organic gardens. We were ecstatic  to get a license
agreement from the Parks Dept. in the first place for our garden site in
Mid-town Mahnahattan. Our tiny less than an acre community garden is sited
on  increasingly high valued real estate( our site has stunning views of the
Empire State building and World Wide Plaza) .  With over 20 years of
composting have been able to do major lead abatement work on a site that had
old lead painted tenements on it originally. It's been a gradual process for
us, but our gardeners follow organic processes and we have ( wonder of
wonders) a large organic lawn for the neighborhood to enjoy in addtion to
our individual raised bed area.

Education, however,  is always an ongoing issue. One can never assume that
all new gardeners have the same knowlege base and information has to be
repeated. Thanks for the links. We'll include them in our website for our
gardeners. Sometimes folks get the message there rather than the bulletin
boards ( anything that works!)

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman