RE: ground prep for raised beds

Hi, Folks!

Adam wrote:

>To avoid this problem in the future, we are amending our garden rules to
>include a section proscribing pressure treated lumber.  Folks never did it
>before in the CCG because they read oraganic gardening magazines, etc.

As an organic community garden, we wrote in the bylaws that pressure treated
lumber is NOT permitted.  We couldn't call ourselves organic if we allowed
it, so we don't.  There are many alternatives which have been mentioned on
the list and are probably available in the archives.  If you're going to eat
the food from the garden and/or have small children playing/helping, it's
best to avoid arsenic. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of