RE: How many CG in U.S.?

I'm just doing this because I don't feel like working and I can still look
really busy.

It appears that figuring a national number based on one city isn't going to
yield a very defendable number.  Too many variables.

In Atlanta, all over the southeast perhaps, where land was relatively
inexpensive and zoning non-existant, urban neighborhoods are indeed verdant.
Neighborhoods here are often forests because the houses are mostly detached
single-family units on generous lots.  Elderly people have their own yards
to cope with, and tackling abandoned property (garden style) with just a few
folks is quite a chore.  I don't know how many vacant lots we have, but it
works out to about 1,300 acres I believe.

Urban redevelopment has only wiped out one garden (Charles Allen Community
Garden) that I know of here.  It didn't make the news and our Mayor, Bill
Campbell, supports the gardens and has even dedicated one of them (Ashview
Community Garden).  It's like we're not in the same country as New York.

The worst part is, John Rocker doesn't want us to bring any New Yorkers down
here to fill up the empty spaces!  He keeps getting really nervous about who
is riding MARTA with him and that screws up his pitching, and we can't have

Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW
Atlanta, GA  30318