Please help

  I am writing from Forest Park, Illinois.  I would like to know how best to approach my village government about starting a community garden program.  Currently we do not have one, but I think such a program could add a great deal of vitality to our community as well as merge a wide range of ethnicities, races and classes.  We do have some public parks and of course there is a business district, where even a potted display of flowers would not hurt the eye.  Do you have any suggestions about how I might be able to approach my local government or how I could arm myself with information and credibility?  Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jennifer Giustino
(708) 366-2947