From: John Verin <jverin@pennhort.org>
To: jennifergiustino <jennifergiustino@avenew.com>; listserv cg <community_garden@mallorn.com>
Date: Thursday, May 11, 2000 9:57 AM
Subject: RE: [cg] Please help

Many official types like data, i.e. hard facts about what it will really do, how much bang for the buck etc.
The emotional or aesthetic appeal is also important to include, but may be lost on some.
Issues that may catch the ear of officials:
  1. Savings on municipal waste by getting gardeners to compost organic material vs. throw it out.
  2. Financial benefit to low income folk by growing their own ORGANIC produce (btw, organic produce has been proven nutritionally superior to conventional).
  3. Health care cost benefit if gardeners improve their health by eating fresh from the garden.
  4. Cost reduction to police/fire dept./hospitals since vacant land reclaimed by community gardeners reduces crime/violence, and gives children a place to learn community values, rather than criminal values.
  5. Other benefits to city's well-being as residents and children learn OWNERSHIP and ACCOUNTABILITY for the well being of their city.
  6. Potential for economic development: produce stand, garden center, value added products, horticulture/landscaping job training.
The list could go on and on (which proves how AWESOME gardening is for the world. Wake up and smell the compost, folks!).
Best wishes and Happy Gardening!