RE: Please help

These are merely footnotes to John Verin' & Fred Conrad's excellent

 Honestly, most urban community gardens originate  as squats.  Once an
attractive fact was in the ground, the battle became one of legitimization.
Community gardens only work generally if there is a wellspring of local
support for them from the community that they are in.  You can find the
history of the community garden that I volunteer in at

Also check the archives of this web server at
http://community_garden@mallorn.com. You should check out the  links on the
ACGA website: http://communitygarden.org./index.html ; The Trust for Public
Land site: http://www.igc.apc.apc.org.tpl for more information and contacts.

There is also a very interesting study being done by the community gardening
folks in ST Louis that I'm awaiting to read with bated breath. Maybe someone
else on line knows more about its' progress.

Some bibliographical information from Mexico and Canada:
ÐÏࡱáeople: A Growth Industry. Vancouver, B.C., 20 May, 1997.
(http://www.cityfarmer.org/rees.html, 21/08/97)

SCHMELZKOPF, Karen (1995). «Urban Community Gardens as Contested Space».
Geographical Review, no. 85, p. 364-381.

SCHUURMAN, Franz (1996) "Can Cities Feed Themselves? Worldwide Turn to Urban
Gardening Signals Hope."
(http://www.pacificnews.org/jinn/stories/2.12/960603-habitat.html, 8/08/97)

SIAU, Gustavo et Andrés YURJEVIC M. (1993). «La agricultura urbana, una
alternativa productiva para combatir la pobreza en sectores marginales».
Agroecologia y desarrollo, no. 4-5, décembre, p. 42-51.

SMIT, Jac (1996) Urban Agriculture, Progress and Prospect: 1975-2005.
Cities Feeding People Series. Report no. 18. IDRC, Canada.  Disponible dans
Urban Agriculture Notes. City Farmer, Canada's Office of Urban Agriculture.
(http://www.cityfarmer.org/rpt18TOC.html, 11/08/97)

SMIT, Jac  (1994) "Urban Agriculture's Increasing Role in Sustainable
Agriculture". Report of the April 29, 1994 Brown Bag Luncheon, WSAA,
Washington Office. International Sustainable Agriculture Issues Report.
(http://www.igc.org/wsaala/issue5.html, 12/08/97)

TINKER, Irene (1993) "Urban Agriculture Feeds Cities".
(http://fadr.msu.ry/rodale/agsieve/txt/vol6/1/art3.html, 8/08/97)

Good luck,

Adam Honigman