Horticultural Therapy

To Whom it May Interest:

We are starting up a gardening project in a minimum-security prison here
in Baltimore. Among other benefits, I am interested in promoting the
therapeutic aspects of gardening, particularly since many of the inmates
have substance abuse problems.

The idea makes sense to me on a gut level, but I would like to get ahold
of some research (if it exists) that confirms this link between
gardening and therapy, to help me make the case for it. Does anyone know
of any good research on horticultural therapy?

There is also some interest in preparing inmates for
horticulture-related jobs on "the outside." Does anyone know of any
organizations that might help us with this aspect?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Leo Horrigan
Center for a Livable Future
Johns Hopkins Univ. School of Public Health
Baltimore, MD
(410) 223-1609
www.jhsph.edu/environment/