Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #332 - 6 msgs

In a message dated 5/11/2000 11:07:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
community_garden-admin@mallorn.com writes:

> and=20     credibility?  Any suggestions you have would be
> 20    </DIV>    <DIV>Thank you,</DIV>    <DIV>Jennifer Giustino</DIV>
> (708)=20366-2947</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re:  Jennifer Giustino request

To approach the community Government without a good plan and presentation is
certain to result in negative responses  and discuragement.  Some of the
following may be of help to you.

    1.  Many communities have special departments which would relate to your
           area of inquiry.  One suggestion might be parks/recreation
           Preliminary work with some of these types of individuals often
      2.  Consultation with  "your" elected representative(s) is often
helpful and if they
           are receptive, they can often prepare the way or clear obstacles
for you.
           Personal contact is often very productive.  If you have media
ability and you
           can get an audience of the decision makers, it is often helpful.
      3.   Churches and similar organizations are often receptive to socially
           constructive projects.
      4.  Lone individuals are easier to say no to than delegations.
      5.  The project needs to appear to be on "reasonable ground" in order
for  it to
           gain acceptance.
      6. Arguments for a community garden:
              a. It promotes values of working with others
              b. It promotes appreciation of the outdoors and nature
              c. It can be a cohesive force within the community
              d. It can be a starting place for a group like the 4-H program
which is now
                  very active in some urban communities.   Call your
extension agent for
                 this one.  They often have info on local community gardens
                 interested people too.
             e. It promotes healthy exercise and socialization
             f.  It provides food and excellent nutrition
            g.  It promotes the necessity of preparing food for the table
rather than
                 complete dependence on less nutritious commercial scources.
            h.  It gives opportunity for the ancient spring rites of planting
and Fall rites of
                harvesting. -= We build a Fall Harvest Festival around our
  7.  Target a group in your presentations-such as "Senior Citizens"  which
is our
       community gardening group.   Seniors are very hungry to get their
fingers into
       the soil.   They can be a great group to rally around such an idea too.
  8.  The more positive your presentation, the greater chance you have of
       and acceptance.

I hope that these few suggestions will be of use to you and maybe even some
others on the list.

Humbly and respectfully submitted
Elmer L. Morehouse
Professional Biologist and Advanced Master Gardener.