Inclusive pathways

mulching sounds like a nice idea for pathways, but it may prevent people in
weelchairs or with other physical abilities to use the garden. So if you
want to remain an "inclusive" community garden think of something more solid
at least in parts of the garden (preferably those parts with raised garden
beds). Some use bricks, some decomposed granite, but you may also think of
doing a mosaik with leftovers from stone masonries etc. and include some
ground art work. This may become another attraction for your garden. Mosaiks
can be put in concrete, but Ive also seen some on compressed sand with just
a little cement worked in on the surface. After the Moasik is finished and
the gaps filled with loose sand the whole path is sprinkled with water,
which will be enough to make the sandy base solid enough (after dried out
for a week or so depending on the weather). The preperational groundwork is
pretty much like described by Adam, except that digging down 1 feet should
be enough. For the mosaik you can use anything from marble pieces to
polished granite, frost-resistent floor tiles work as well. Ask your local
stone and rock supplier for donations. They usually have left-overs.

Oliver Ginsberg
BdJA educational consultant
Admiralstrasse 16
10999 Berlin