RE: Resources

The list of links (attached to a reply to a discusssion on pressure treated
lumber) which were compiled by Cyndi Ross ( a master gardener who graces
this listserv) is pretty complete. Also, check out the American Community
Gardening Association website http://www.communitygarden.org/index.html for
community gardens near your growing zone to commuicate with.

Good luck,

The lumber is pressure treated with arsenic which leaches out into the soil.
Hence, I would not used this lumber if the garden is going to have edible
crops.  Also, there are many websites which spell out the warnings of using
chemicals (i.e. John Hopkin's Hospital Intellithealth newsletter has
released an article indicating pesticides can cause male infertility).
Here are some organic sites:  <http://www.organicgardening.com/> This site
will offer a wonderful array of books on organic gardening.  My personal
belief is that there are no regrets with respect to harming one's own health
or the delicate ecosystem/environment through organic gardening.  Organic
gardening promotes the ecosystem to work harmoniously together as opposed to
fighting 'mother nature' with chemicals.
<http://www.safe-food.org/>  This site concentrates on educating the public
of the dangers of Genetically Engineered food.  However, if you follow the
link to 'Concerned Scientists', this site will provide information on the
dangers of chemical applications.
<http://freenet.macatawa.org/org/ogm.html>  This is the site for "Organic
Growers of Michigan" which provides a wealth of information as well as links
to related sites.
If you are growing fruits & vegetables, the best 'how-to' book I found is
"How to Grow More Vegetables (than you ever thought possible on less land
than you can imagine)" by John Jeavons.  It's the 5th Edition Revised.  I've
purchased this book & many other organic gardening books published by the
Rodale Institute/Publishing -- Rodale is the most prominent name in organic
gardening -- through <http://www.amazon.com/>
Bless you in your attempts to green our planet.  Peace be with you.
Cyndy Ross, Chairperson
Fellowship, SLLC Organic Community Garden, Memorial Garden, & 'Welcoming
Wagon' committees
Sylvan Lake Lutheran Church
2399 Figa Avenue
W. Bloomfield, MI 48324-1808