RE: burnt veggys

If you are putting chemical fertilizers, like "10-10-10" on your vegetables
every two weeks you could be hurting them.  In hot weather, in any weather,
granular chemical fertilizers take water from the soil and plant tissues
that they contact.
You should be adding organic matter like compost or manure to the soil and
topping it with a layer of newspaper covered with straw or other natural
mulch.  That will protect your vegetables roots from the heat and feed the
soil, and that will give you better looking plants and bigger harvests
without chemicals.  It's much safer for your vegetables and the small
creatures that live in the soil and make it productive.
Your soil is probably sandy, but if you have a drainage problem and your
plants look yellow before they look burned... the roots might be rotting
first and the top dying second.  If that is the case then you need to reduce
the amount of watering.  Watch for puddles and soil that doesn't dry out
between waterings.
Also, remember that all gardeners everywhere have some plant problems, and
even healthy plants can have some yellow or brown leaves sometimes.  It's
natural and you can learn from it.

Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW