RE: burnt veggys/Comments from the peanut gallery.

Fred is absolutely right. I'd also take a soil sample from your bed and send
it to your local state agricultural extension for analysis. This way you can
see what your soil needs. If you're not composting. learn about it. Organic
gardening magazine is a good source, there is much splendid information on
the web.

Compost is a great source of micronutrients, but is more of a delivery
system for them rather than being a primary source. Oustside of soil
amendements, the best sort of feritilzer that I use is fish emulsion,
diluted according to manufacturer's instructions. Manure from erbivores is
great, but I tend to add them to the compost pile rather than applying raw
manure to my vegetable plot. Once the manure breaks down and ages in
compost,it seems to be more useful and reduces most e-coli issues,

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman