RE: NO ATTACHED DOCUMENTS

As a victim of something like this in the past I felt I should comment on your post. You are correct, of course, in saying that it is never a good idea to open attachments from people you do not know. (Even though, supposedly, the “Love Bug” virus came as an attachment from someone who had you on their email address list and might have been someone you DID know.)

That fact notwithstanding, many of us are not computer savvy enough to know that some email programs, by default, send forwarded messages as attachments and that you have to go to the program’s “options” menu to click somewhere to have it send the forward as an included message instead. Additionally, some email programs automatically send a digital “business card”” along with the email as an attachment. Again the hapless computer user does not even know that it is happening because it is the default option and one has to go to the options menu and de-select it in order to not keep sending this file.

My suggestion here is for the group administrator to send a personal email to the senders in question, pointing out that they sent an attachment, they are probably not even aware of this, and asking them to change the options in their email program that is causing this to happen, or, in the case that they did do it intentionally to not continue to do so. We are all extremely concerned with computer security and virus safety but it is still important to treat each other with kindness. Expect the best in people and they usually will live up to it.

David-Iman Adler, Landscape Architect

Solutions for Environmental Harmony

5 Abode Road

New Lebanon, NY 12125-2600