Re: viruses

  • Subject: Re: [cg] viruses
  • From: Marianne Riofrio <riofrio.1@osu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:58:08 -0400

Hi Kristin,
Viruses are usually pretty specific as to what plant or plant group they will affect.  If your friend is seeing this problem on several different unrelated species, look for another cause.  Sucking insects can cause twisting, as can freezing injury.  Sometimes if leaves in the bud stage are affected by cold temperatures, they don't expand normally, giving a distorted appearance.  Lastly, and I hesitate to mention this because I don't want anyone to be unjustly blamed, but twisting and curling can also be signs of herbicide drift.

The location of the plants, the location ON the plant, when the problem first occured, and how newer growth looks are all good to know when trying to diagnose these problems.  Your county extension office may have someone on staff that can help.
Marianne

At 07:51 AM 05/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>Can anyone give me an idea of what kinds of viruses typically attack shrubs
>and flowers, and what to do about them? In all my garden experience I've
>never had to deal with this, and a friend whose garden I designed seems to
>be showing signs on a few of the plants. Some of their leaves are curling
>and bending in strange directions. (maybe they're just possessed?)

>community_garden maillist  -  community_garden@mallorn.com

*  Marianne Riofrio
*  Department of Horticulture & Crop Science
*  232B Howlett Hall, 2001 Fyffe Ct.
*  Columbus, OH  43210-1096
*  Tel:   614-292-8326
*  Fax:  614-292-3505
*  Email:  riofrio.1@osu.edu
*
Visit the Ohio Master Gardener Web Site:
http://mastergardener.osu.edu