arctic circle gardens via Laura Berman

  • Subject: [cg] arctic circle gardens via Laura Berman
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" <ariel@tc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:34:50 -0500

Note to all ACGA List members:  the pictures cited below could not be transferred with this posting.  Try contacting our Arctic colleague and see if you can get the photos that way.
Here's Laura's message:
Hi All,
I'm very excited to be able to tell you  that, through the  new Canadian
community garden listserve, we have found the farthest north community
garden--it is just above the Arctic Circle!!
This is the first post from the Inuvik community greenhouse. Check out the
attached photos.
Laura Berman
Hi everyone,
  I'm not exactly sure how this whole thing works, but here I am, Carrie
Young: coordinator of the Inuvik Community Greenhouse.  I've been here for 2
years.  I'm originally from Ottawa. This is our second full year of
operation.  We are located at the top of the Dempster Highway just north of
the Arctic Circle in the Northwest Territories.  Our greenhouse is a
converted old Quonset style arena.  We have raised planters (on account of
the permafrost).  With the greenhouse, we are able to parallel the growing
conditions of southern Alberta. Along with a community plot area, we have a
commercial operation serving the town. We do bedding plants and then a crop
of hydroponic tomatoes and Cukes and lettuce. I'm super busy right now with
transplanting etc..  but this group seemed like an excellent source for info
exchange and all the rest.  I'll keep you posted.  Here's some pics from
last season.
Anna Wasescha
Farm in the City and ACGA List Manager
1312 Dayton Avenue