RE: what's appropriate for this list?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] what's appropriate for this list?
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:01:06 -0400

Guys,

Had an experience yesterday that's making me think that Jack & Don might
have something here...

An office mate from  Brooklyn guy bought a house in a part of
"chemical-lawn-fetish" New Jersey. He reads, hates the idea of being a lawn
slave but has gotten the idea that perennials up front and some tomatoes in
back might be a good thing. The house has been certified lead safe, but who
knows about the lawn and backyard where his 6 year old will play.

A good buddy, I hooked him up with stuff I'd learned from our lead
discussions, printed up some forms from the U Mass soil testing labs, asked
him to check his purchase papers to see if there was a warrant of lead
safety for the grounds around the house, and printed up some goodies from
back issues of "Organic Gardening" for him to look at with some
bibliograhies and web addresses. He's intelligent and will follow through so
I'm not worried.

What would happen if he went on line and hit our happy little group and got
some automated message that sent him into the arms of chemical gardening
companies, if his six year old kid wanted to dig like his dad and breathes
in some 500ppm lead soil or worse.

Maybe the community is sometimes bigger than our CGs and extends into the
larger world? If it's some guy who needs orchid growing instructions, we're
not the right place, but for backyard gardeners who might listen to some
non-chemical, organic gardening advice?

It wouldn't hurt...

Adam Honigman