FW: media request

  • Subject: [cg] FW: media request
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:51:08 -0400

I assume that you've talked to your local Toronto community garden, American
Community Gardening Association Board member, Canadian Community Garden
Listserve manager,  and food security godess Laura Berman. Laura  has a
great number of great Canadian stories, including that of a community garden
that grows tomatoes atop permafrost in Inuvik ( Carrie Young of
1-867-777-3267)as well as knowing folks in Montreal and the lower 48 real

Laura Berman
FoodShare Toronto
T:(416) 392-1668
F: (416) 392-6650
E: laura@foodshare.net
W: www.foodshare.net

Please feel free to contact me for my "two cents". I volunteer at the
Clinton Community Garden in NYC http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org , and
sit on a NYC Community Board, something similar to being one of  unpaid
members of a local Canadian municipal council. Most of what I do is in this
article in New Age Journal: http://www.newage.com/current.comm-grdn.html .
This article should give you some ideas on folks to contact in the US,
including many who help to feed multitudes. You'll want to reach out to the
Board at the American Community Gardening Association and
http://www.communitygarden.org, and our president:

Tom Tyler
Extension Agent for Environmental Horticulture
Virginia Cooperative Extension-Arlington County
3308 South Stafford Street
Arlington, VA 22206-1904
phone: (703) 228-6423; fax: 703-228-6407

and our President elect:

Ellen Kirby
Director, Brooklyn Green Bridge
Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
1000 Washington Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11225-1099
phone: 718-623-7251; fax: 718-857-2430
email: ellenkirby@bbg.org

Again, the American Community Garden website is filled with "must read"
articles and links, so have a great time:

In all truth, I'm a guy with a 9-5 and a family, so this is not a full time
thing for me. We can do an  interview, if you're in NYC and  I can point you
at some photo possiblilites, but you'll really want to talk to these NYC
folks who do organize gardens for a living:

However, for more information on NYC,conatact Edie Stone  at NYC Greenthumb
http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/; Gerard Lordahl Director, Open Space Greening
Council on the Environment of NYC, 51 Chambers St., room 228, New York, NY
phone: 212-788-7928; ; email: gldesigns25@hotmail.comhe the :
tge folks at Green Guerillas http://users.rcn.com/ggsnyc/ , the marvelously
photegenic Earth Celebrations people, http://www.earthcelebrations.com/;
Andy Stone and the great people at the Trust for Public Land
http://www.tpl.org/ ; Joseph Puppello at the NY Restoration Project
http://nyrp.org/projects.html. For policy, you will want to talk to Toby,
NYC's greening wise woman  at the Neighborhood Open Space
Coalition,Neighborhood Open Space Coalition 356 7th Avenue, NYC 10001.
212-352-9330 http://www.treebranch.com/nosc/ .

There are some amazing people engaged in outstanding food security work
throughout the ACGA, and I'm forwarding your request to them as well as to a
couple of US film makers who might be able to supply you with and/or swap
some video.

Good luck with your project

Adam Honigman
Tel: (212) 414-8933