RE: Ideas for a Community Garden Wishlist

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Ideas for a Community Garden Wishlist
  • From: "Kerr, Thomas J." <KerrT@missouri.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:56:53 -0500

To Adam's articulate wishlist, I would only add flowers - around the borders
of a garden. Our friends in St. Louis at Gateway Greening, insist that all
their community gardens be lined with flowers - annuals and perrenials - to
make the locations seem especially nice and inviting. They budget in the
seeds and starters for this, and feel the return on the investment is
priceless.

Gateway Greening has been working with hundreds of community groups over the
years and St. Louis has one of the most attractive "blighted" sections of
city that I've yet seen (unfortunately their city has one of the highest
vacant lot per capita records) http://stlouis.missouri.org/gatewaygreening/

Especially the Whitmire study!

Tom

Tom Kerr
Food Circles Networking Project - Kansas City
University of Missouri Outreach and Extension
2700 E. 18th Street, Suite 240
Kansas City, MO 64127
tel: (816) 482-5888
fax: (816) 482-5880