RE: filler for raised beds

  • Subject: RE: [cg] filler for raised beds
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:51:10 -0400

Kellie

I usually agree with Adam on many things, but on this one I differ. If
you're building raised beds as deep as you are, I would recommend you just
build them and fill with soil as though you were builind on top of concrete.

Lead and other heavy metals are just that, heavy, and don't usually rise in
the soil unless they're stirred up--more often they're deposited on top of
soil by car exhaust or dumped batteries.If you are concerned about what's
in the existing soil, apply a visual barrier before filling the beds. I've
seen hardware screening used, and sometimes old rugs.  These barriers don't
completely shield you from what's down there, but they DO remind you not to
dig any deeper when you hit them.  And don't be afraid to test the soil
you're bringing in to fill the beds.

Don't backfill with subsoil, rocks, or anything but soil. You're creating
an ideal situation, something that many gardeners would trade their
firstborn for--18-24 inched of friable soil!  Styrofoam pellets are only
recommended if you're filling the bottom of a container that needs to weigh
less, like in a rooftop garden.18 inches of soil in raised beds will drain
just by virtue of being that deep.

Adam's absolutely right about the rest of it--the composting part, the kind
of lumber to use, and, of course, the communal hot showers.

Sally McCabe