wish lists/flowers/St. Louis

  • Subject: [cg] wish lists/flowers/St. Louis
  • From: "Gwenne Hayes-Stewart" <Gwenne.Hayes-Stewart@mobot.org>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:02:46 CST6CDT

Thank you Tom for the plug on St. Louis community
gardens.  Actually, we do not insist that our gardens
have ornamental borders, we just make vast
quantities of perennials and annuals available each
year and the gardeners put them to immediate use in
borders and feature beds as they see fit.  The
gardens fill out wish lists for particular plants and the
demand gets higher every year.  The gardens look
terrific.

We amass the plants through our Great Perennial
Divide.  Individual back yard gardeners divide and pot
their plants, bring them to one of a dozen collection
sites throughout St. Louis.  We also have digging
crews that will help senior gardeners and those with
large donations.  Nurseries and growers donate
extras that we winter over as well.  We see that they
get good homes. This year, more than 20,000 potted
and labeled perennials were distributed.

the event is gathering notice nationally, as we were in
Country Living Gardener, on newstands now! and in
Easy Gardener now long off newstands.  anyway,
visit our website for more info. Gwenne

Gwenne Hayes-Stewart, Executive Director
Gateway Greening
P. O. Box 299 St, Louis MO 63166  314-577-9484  FAX 314-577-9435