kids in the garden

  • Subject: [cg] kids in the garden
  • From: Kellie Schaffer <kellie@foodlinkny.org>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:23:02 -0400

Hello fellow greeners,
I have been working with a small group of neighborhood residents helping to plan their community garden. We want the kids in the neighborhood involved, but we have some concerns as well. We are looking fro some advice on how to structure the childrens' involvement. Our questions and concerns are the following:
1. Do we need a parental consent form?
2. With so many children in the area do we pick and choose who can be involved so we are not overwhelmed by 20-30 kids (this is a small garden and could accommodate 8-10 children max)
3. How do we decide who can be involved?
4. Do we set certain times children are allowed to work in the garden? i.e. pick 2 days a week for 2 hours?
5. Who is ultimately responsible for the supervision of these children?
We really want the children involved but we do not want to take on more than we can handle.
thanks
kellie
"Although social change cannot come about overnight, we must always work as though it were a possibility in the morning."   - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FIGHTING WASTE, FIGHTING WANT

FOODLINK, Inc.                          Url : www.foodlinkny.org
936 Exchange Street                     Ph: 716-328-3380
Rochester, NY 14608                     Fax:  716-328-9951