RE: Online expert, enliven your park/gardens with campfires or community brickovens, now

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Online expert, enliven your park/gardens with campfires or community brickovens, now
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:22:22 -0400

I like a little barbecue as much as anybody on the Fourth of July - not as
much as I used to, because I am ( much to my surprise)  a vegetarian these
days. However, more and more urban public parks have ordinances against bon
fires and open air grilling because of insurance/liablility issues. All it
takes is one or two pyros to do an amazing amount of park damage.

In NYC, where we are having a rally today at noon on the steps of City Hall
to try to get  funding for Parks to 1% ( We have a slogan "One Percent for
Parks") from the horendous .5% currently budgeted. Imagine if we had to deal
with forest fires in large Frederick Law Olmstead designed spaces with old
growth trees like Central Park &  Prospect Park? Boggles the mind.

This lady has a gimmick, and maybe gathering around a bonfire creates social
cohesion in Toronto ( though even there I imagine it's value may be

All things being equal in NYC, our dear mayor may decide to use the bon fire
as a place to discard disapproved artworks, books, etc.

Adam Honigman