RE: Online expert, enliven your park/gardens with campfires or community brickovens, now

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Online expert, enliven your park/gardens with campfires or community brickovens, now
  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:05:33 -0400

I agree with Adam that it's important to be careful with fire, however
I think it can be enjoyable and useful.  In some areas and in some
countries people commonly cook at their community gardens.
It would be important to talk about fire safety and have people take
precautions such as having a water bucket/hose available.  Using a firepan or
raised grill to protect the ground might also be helpful.

People cook at planted and forested campgrounds all over and do
so quite safely.  And that is fairly similar from a plant/fire/people set up
to a community garden.

A fire circle that people are going to sit around needs some extra
planning.   Personally, I'd rather not see actual bonfires(as in huge) just
for the
sake of the natural resources used up and the air pollution created.
When I see a log, my thoughts tend to turn more toward raised beds,
arbors, sheds, or furniture :-).

As a fun topic for a community garden, participants might enjoy learning
about fuel efficient rocket stoves and solar ovens.

Rocket and other interesting fuel efficient stoves http://www.efn.org/~apro/
Solar cooking  http://www.solarcooking.org

Sharon
gordonse@one.net