Re: Cardboard

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Cardboard
  • From: "Cyndy Ross" <cynross@tir.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:00:11 -0400

We, too, have an invasion of quack grass.  Unfortunately, using cardboard in
a garden will take away your "organic" status (not to mention, take a toll
on your health) due to the chemicals & glue used during its manufacturing
process.  We do plan on using cardboard in the flower beds far enough away
from our edible gardens which should not pose a hindrance for our organic
status.  In the edible gardens  we are using a heavy layer of wood chips in
the paths (more nitrogen needs to be added to the veggie gardens as the wood
chips rob this element from those plants who need it).  On the plots
themselves we mulch heavily with either leaves or grass clippings (they're
free & easily obtained -- a double bonus in my book ;-) ).  Heavy mulch
seems to do the trick in keeping weeds & quack grass at bay.

Soil, just as healthy humans ward off illnesses, will contain less weeds if
it is healthy to the point of "black gold" humus.  By the way, did you know
that each weed present in the soil is indicative of certain element(s)
present, missing, or not in readily available form for the plants to use?

Happy gardening!

Peace Be With You,
Cyndy Ross, Chairperson
SLLC Organic Community Garden