Re: Re:questions on starting up

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re:questions on starting up
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:53:09 -0400

Hi, Kathy!

>What works better?  We do not have families signed up yet, but I was
>wondering if each family should have a plot or if we should have one big
>garden to share "equally"?

I've found it's better for each family to have their own plot -- that way
you can tell who knows what they are doing (and is dedicated to taking care
of their plot) and who needs help or just signed up without realizing the
work that gardening really is.

We may have lots of families with young children,
>any thoughts on having a separate children's garden?

Always good to at least have an area with flowers that kids can pick anytime
they feel like.  If someone wants to take on a plot to teach kids specific
things, so much the better.

There will also be an
>elderly population involved.  Any ideas on intergenerational projects?

Gardening is an intergenerational project.  Let the elderly take plots and
match kids or other folks with them.  Or the elderly folks may bring in
family of their own.

>The location is right next to a school.  I could see where that might be a
>joint effort someday.

Lots of good gardening curriculums for schools.  Check out the resources in
this mailing list's archives, print out what you think is relevant and hit
up the teachers with "summer reading ideas" so that they can contact you
about setting something up in the fall.  You can't have too many different
types of people involved at the beginning -- several will drop out anyway.

>What types of business usually contributes to community efforts?

Ask for what you need wherever you do business.  Invite the Executive
Director of a local nonprofit to lunch and pick their brain -- I got the
"begging list" for food from one of Phoenixville's prominant organizations
and I haven't had a problem feeding people at our work days since. . .

Good luck!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of