RE: Community garden start-up

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community garden start-up
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 08:55:15 -0400

Well, here I am sitting in my office on a rainy Saturday morning, so I guess
I'll give it a shot.

It's always difficult when community organizers become the target of an
aroused community rather than the leaders/facilitators, but the same
principles apply.  It's also difficult when you have just one plan and
everybody else just has to say "no."

One principle that may apply in this situation is to diffuse the issue.
Another principle is to involve the opposition in the process.  If you have
the ability and time to step back (or to appear to step back) a little from
your single idea of developing a community garden and to create a committee
that will include some of the neighbors to decide (or to advise on) what
would be the best use of the land, you may have a winner.  Perhaps folks
would like a community greenspace that would include an area where people
could grow their own herbs, flowers, and vegetables.  A community garden by
any other name is still a great idea, particularly if more people feel a
sense of ownership and it meets the needs and interests of a diverse group
of people.  The neighbors probably all have real concerns which they
shortcut by opposing the idea of a community garden.  If they have a way to
bring up the individual concerns in ways that can be dealt with, you have a
chance of working with them.  At the same time, you need a good group of
folks who are familiar with the idea of community gardens and who will be
part of the process.  If it's just you alone against the neighbors, you're
sunk.

To think about this situation in much more detail would require some
specifics of the location and the issues that have arisen.  You might want
to share them with the list.  Doing so also will help you clarify your own
thinking.

Finally, another principle is to use a third party to buffer the discussion.
There are quite a few experienced community garden types not far from your
town.  You might ask one of them to come and sit in on a meeting to help
focus ideas and perhaps reduce conflict.  Somebody from a local organization
not involved in this discussion might serve a similar purpose.

Good luck.

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director
Knox Parks Foundation