RE: (Public.Spaces) bird's eye view

  • Subject: [cg] RE: (Public.Spaces) bird's eye view
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:19:06 -0400

Dear Gene & Folks Interested in Community Gardens - the Urban Public Spaces
run Like Volunteer Firehouses:

First - Toronto has many truly splendid Community Gardens - a model for all
of us in North America, actually. Please contact these Ontario based
American Community Gardening Association Board members for more information
-

1) Laura Berman
Community Garden Programme Coordinator
FoodShare Toronto
238 Queen St. West Toronto, ON M5V 1Z7
phone: 416-392-1668 fax: 416-392-6650
email:laura@foodshare.net
www: http://www.foodshare.net/grow.htm

2) Solomon Boyé
Community Gardens Coordinator
City of Toronto Parks and Recreation
100 Queen St. West, 21st fl, East Tower
Toronto, ON, M5H 2N2
phone: 416-392-7800 fax: 416-392-0077
email: sboye@city.toronto.on.ca

3) Keisha Morgan
City of Tornonto Parks and Recreation, Community Garden Program Animator
100 Queen St, 21st Floor, East Tower
Toronto ON MSH 2N2
phone: 416-392-7800
email: kmorgan@city.toronto.on.ca

Because of the contributions of the ACGA's Canadian members, we should
rightly change the name of the organization to the North American Community
Gardening Association. Some community gardens grow atop permafrost!: (
http://www.cityfarmer.org/inuvik.html#inuvik )

2) There is a wealth of community gardening information, along with links to
community gardens throughout North America on the website of the American
Communty Gardning Association:
 http://www.communitygarden.org/

3)Thank you for your interest in our Hell's Kitchen oasis, The Clinton
Community Garden in New York City ( located on West 48th Street in
Manhattan, between 8th & 9th Avenues.)

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/

4) In Little Rock,  Arkansas, for the Arkansas Hunger Coalition's 6th Annual
Hunger Conference as a speaker, http://www.arkansashunger.org/ , I had an
amusing time explaining that our community garden was not named after New
York's freshman ( freshperson?, not Hillary!) Senator and her consort
William Jefferson, but after the family of Revolutionary era New York
Governor DeWitt Clinton. Clinton is a name that Hell's Kitchen's boosters
tried to use to make the place sound better after the "Capeman" Murders in
the late '50s. It partially stuck - just like the way that most New Yorkers
still call "The Avenue of the Americas",  "Sixth Avenue."

5) Little Rock, Arkansas is a remarkable place, with many of the problems
that plague most cities in this country, situated - in this New Yorker's
eyes - in a setting of great physical beauty. Arkansan hunger and social
service volunteers do amazing things and save lives with almost nothing in
the way of governmental support or resources. As coordinated by the gracious
and awesomely efficient Hope Coulter, director of the Arkansas Hunger
Coalition, I am in awe of the Food Security efforts made in that state.

Little Rock  has some extraordinarily beautiful parks, community gardens and
a marvelous public market, the River Market, that has been chosen by the
Project for Public Spaces as a "Great Public Space". Please read more about
it at this link.

http://pps.org/gps/one?public_place_id=103

Mr. Mark Webre, deputy director, design of the  Little Rock Parks &
Recreation Department was extraordinarily gracious in showing me, in one
afternoon, the good, bad and the ugly of his city ( mostly beautiful and
good - the folks in Little Rock have learned something from mistakes made
elsewhere.)  Mr. Webre, whose messages you may have read on this listserve,
is a prime example of the kind of enlightened and accessible civil servant
that volunteers like myself pray to find. The work being done in Urban
forestry in Little Rock,  under the guidance of Mr. Peter Rausch, urban
forester for Little Rock's Parks and Recreation Dept. are truly first rate
as well.

Best wishes, and thank you for reading this overlong missive,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden