FW: Gardens in Scranton

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Gardens in Scranton
  • From: "Sally McCabe" <smccabe@pennhort.org>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:36:03 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: J Duncan [mailto:JDunc@compuserve.com]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:24 PM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org; sallymcc@libertynet.org
Subject: Gardens in Scranton

Hello ACGA,

We need your help!

The Community of Shalom in the Hill Section of Scranton (PA) is
collaborating with the Lackawanna County District Attorney, Penn State
Cooperative Extension Service, the Employment Opportunity Training Center,
and the Hill Neighborhood Association in developing a community garden.
We've been offered use of a 80x200 foot urban lot, to be leased by the EOTC
and a portion of which (20x40) would be used by that group for a garden
sown and maintained by children in its Family Matters program. Plans for
the remainder of the lot are undeveloped, but a number of neighborhood
residents are interested in sharing in the development of plots therein.

We have several concerns that will come up at a meeting on Tuesday, May 21
which, hopefully, you can help me address. (By the way, the Hill Community
of Shalom is a member of the ACGA -- we recently renewed membership.) Here
are the concerns:

1. Could you please send us the membership pack again? Our original has
been "borrowed" and we cannot put our hands on it
please send it ASAP to
        Communities of Shalom
        712 Linden Street
        Scranton, PA 18510

2. Do you have one or more models for operating parameters for such a
        a. model leases/use agreements/bylaws
        b. model rules for use
Pertinent background: The EOTC is leasing the lot from the neighborhood
association, and is carrying the lot on its insurance policy. The Shalom
team is hoping to provide one or more strategies that will guide us in
developing the lot and sharing the responsibility for it in an equitable
manner. Technically, EOTC cannot sublease portions of the lot according to
a contract it has with the neighborhood association. Could a group, such as
Shalom, be designated by EOTC as "manager" the lot -- assessing fees for
"participation shares" (not subleases) to persons who will plant/maintain
other sections of the garden, with the fees being forwarded to EOTC to
offset their cost?

Since we're going to discuss possibilities on Tuesday, you can either
e-mail the material as a Word attachment, or fax it to 570-344-9286.

I will be out of the office during the day on Tuesday, but you can reach me
by cell phone at 570-407-1304.

Any bit of help you can give will be appreciated!

Thank you, and God bless you,

Rev. Jean-Pierre Duncan
Communities of Shalom
Wyoming Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church

see our web site at:   www.gbgm-umc.org/umshalom